Indian students opt to study MBBS in Mauritius or foreign countries for many reasons. After the introduction of the common medical entrance examination NEET, students find it hard to secure MBBS admission in India. There are many countries that enrol Indian students in MBBS courses. China, Georgia, Russia, etc are the few countries preferred by Indian students to study MBBS abroad. MBBS in Mauritius has become one of the options for Indian students to pursue their medical dream.
MBBS in Mauritius: Quick highlights
|Program duration||5.5 years|
|Eligibility criteria||60% in PCB & NEET qualified|
|Total Fees||38 lakhs to 47 lakhs for five years|
|Hostel Fees||Included in college fees|
|Medical Colleges are approved by||Medical Council of India and World Health Organization|
|Teaching Medium||English medium|
Mauritius is one of the beautiful destinations. It has strong implications and traditions of the Indians. It is even called the second home for Indians. Lately, Mauritius is emerging as one of the preferred study abroad destinations to do MBBS.
The first question that everyone thinks of studying MBBS in Mauritius, is it approved in India? Not all MBBS degrees offered in foreign countries is approved by the NMC (Medical Council of India). However, MBBS in Mauritius is approved by NMC. Students need not worry about the recognition of the course. Soon after completion of the course, they can take up the test conducted by NMC and start practicing.
Apart from MCI, the following entities approve the MBBS course in Mauritius. It means MBBS in Mauritius is an international degree, globally approved.
- H.O: World Health Organization
- C.I: Medical Council INDIA
- E.C: Tertiary Education Commission, Mauritius
- GAME: Global Alliance for Medical Education
- USMLE: United States Medical Licensing Examination
- SAQA: South African Qualification Authority
- IMED: International Medical Education Directory
- FAIMER: Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research
- ECFMG: Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- LMCC: Licentiate of the Medical College of Canada
MCI approved medical colleges
Some of the top medical colleges and universities in Mauritius include,
- Anna Medical College, Montagne Blanche, Mauritius.
- SSR Medical College, Vacoas-Phoenix, Mauritius, 46.20.
Mauritius Medical Universities Fees 2023, Contact – 07533005179
The fees structure of MBBS in Mauritius is little bit expensive but the quality of education of Mauritian medical colleges worth it.
|Sr.N.||Medical College/University||Address||Total Fees|
|1||Anna Medical College (Admission Open)||Montagne Blanche, Mauritius||39.70 Lac|
|2||SSR Medical College (Admission Open)||Vacoas-Phoenix, Mauritius||46.20 Lac|
Advantages of Studying MBBS in Mauritius
There are many advantages to study in Mauritius.
- Mauritius MBBS syllabus is guided by the Medical Council of India.
- There are quite a few MCI approved universities in Mauritius to offer MBBS courses.
- Mauritius is an English speaking country. Also, it resembles a lot of India. Many Indians settled in Mauritius a couple of generations ago. Students can see strong roots to India and the languages. Apart from English, many Indian languages are seen across the country. So, Indian students don’t feel awkward or sick in a foreign destination.
- Many medical universities have qualified Indian faculties, who has decades of teaching experience.
- All students are split into small batches, which facilities better learning and teaching.
- NO medical institute or college asks for a donation. Only tuition fee and hostel fee is charged.
- Cost of education is low when compared to India.
- Indian culture is seen throughout the country.
- The environment and climate are blissful. It is a pollution-free country and students have no fear of falling sick. Full of beaches, wonderful environment and serene atmosphere.
- Language, food, habits, and practices are very similar to India. So, it is easy for Indian students to adapt to the Mauritius environment.
- People are very courteous and easy to mingle with the locals.
Mauritius is not a very destination of study in terms of international study destination. While there are many countries famed for MBBS courses, popular among Indian students. MBBS in Mauritius quora queries started a few drawbacks like the infrastructure is not good in all medical colleges. Also, there is a common statement seen in MBBS in Mauritius reviews, where the cost of MBBS is high when compared to the cost of studying MBBS in other countries. There was chaos before a few years that international medical students who study medicine in Mauritius face an uncertain future due to pending approval from the Medical Council of India. However, it is easy to check whether the medical university has MCI approval or not.
MBBS in Mauritius Eligibility
Students who completed the 10 + 2 school education or I.Sc or any equivalent education with a minimum of 60 % aggregate marks.
- Main subjects of study should be biology, physics, and chemistry.
- Age shall be minimum 17 years and maximum shall be 30 years
- Must be NEET-UG qualified
- Should have a good track of academic records
- Should have good health and provide all certificates
- Should be fluent in the English language
Eligibility requirement varies with a few universities. Some of the medical universities in Mauritius require IELTS qualification as one of the eligibility conditions to seek admission.
MBBS in Mauritius 2023: Admission process
Medical colleges of Mauritius offer MBBS admission in two sessions i.e., April and September. Aspirants get stipulated time to enroll themselves in MBBS course. The students will be selected on the basis of their NEET entrance exam scores, documents and counseling.
The simple steps of MBBS admission in Mauritius
- After passing 10+2 and NEET, Fill the application form on the official website of college.
- Then the admission committee will verify the information related to qualification and other documents.
- In next step, students will be shortlisted on the basis of their grades and documents.
- Now, the candidates will be called for counseling rounds including personal interview.
- After the Personal interview, the dean of college will make a decision regarding admission.
- After approval, the selected candidates will have to provide medical fitness certificate.
- Now submit the necessary documents and fees of the institution.
Required documents for MBBS
- 10th and 12th mark sheet and pass certificate.
- NEET UG scorecard
- Medical certificate
- Birth certificate
- Documents for financial stability
- A Valid passport
- Passport size photographs
- Student’s identification documents
MBBS Course Duration in Mauritius
MBBS in Mauritius duration is 5.5 years. Since the course follows a similar pattern provided by MCI, the curriculum is also similar to Indian MBBS course. The first four and a half years is classroom training and the final year is an internship in associated hospitals and healthcare centers.
MBBS in Mauritius fee starts from 41 lakhs. While the cost of studying in Mauritius is high when compared to other countries like Russia and China, it is very much lower than the cost of medical education in India.
MBBS in Mauritius Syllabus
The Syllabus of MBBS Mauritius is guided by the National Medical Commission. The pattern of study and course curriculum is similar to Indian pattern. The course structure of MBBS is given below.
|Pre clinical (2 Semesters)||Para clinical (3 Semester)||Clinical (5 Semesters)|
|Anatomy||Forensic medicine||Community medicine|
|Obstetrics and Gynaecology|
Food and Hostel
- Hostel and food is available in medical colleges of Mauritius. The hostel rooms are available on sharing basis and single occupancy.
- Rooms are properly furnished with attached bathroom. The rooms are equipped with a bed and mattress, a reading table, a chair and a cupboard.
- The charges of hostel room vary from 200 USD to 400 USD.
- College provides 24*7 hours security services, along with power and water supply.
- College Mess insures the 100% healthy& delicious food and availability of Indian Food.
MBBS Mauritius: FMGE Passing Percentage
The MCI screening test passing percentage after studying MBBS in Mauritius is given below.
- SSR Medical College- 43.48 percent.
- Anna Medical College- 66.13 percent.
We are a team of expert study abroad counsellors specialized in medical field. Contact us at 07533005179 to study medicine in Mauritius, we will help you from counselling to complete admission assistance.