The choice of studying MBBS in Australia is high among Indian medical aspirants. Studying medicine is one of the most sought after courses in India as well as other countries. Enrolling in MBBS is a pride and a promising profession for the medical aspirants. Being quite a noble profession which is closely associated with life, it is essential to seek admission in high-quality institutes that offer quality education.
While many Indian students prefer to study medicine abroad for many reasons, Australia is one of the choices. MBBS in Australia for Indian students created a buzz owing to the exemplary quality of education, facilities, and infrastructure. Besides, Australian degrees are internationally recognized and come with a great reputation across the globe. Medical Universities in Australia are approved by Medical Council of India which is a governing body of medical education in India, you know.
MBBS in Australia Highlights 2020
|NEET||Required with qualifying marks|
|MBBS Course Duration||5-6 Years|
|Medium of Instructions||English|
|Recognition||MCI/WHO and other bodies|
|Fees starts||47340 Aus $|
Australia, a Dream Destination for Medical Studies
- Australia is one of the most popular studies abroad destinations in the world. With world-class infrastructure, futuristic technologies, internationally recognized degrees and education programs, and versatile teaching methodologies, Australia stands out with great reputation. Students from all parts of the world target Australia to continue higher education. Hence, it is no surprise that most students who aspire to pursue medicine equally prefer Australia a dream destination to get their international medical degree.
- Australia hosts almost 5 lakhs, international students, every year and the number of students from other countries who fly to Australia to earn their degree increases by 15% to 20% every year. However, being a rich country with a lavish lifestyle, it is quite expensive for international students.
- Since MBBS is considered an undergraduate program and considering the cost of education, many prefer to study in Canada. Comparing with the MBBS in Canada for Indian students fees, Australia is higher. While the tuition fees for the medical degree in Australia remains considerable and vary moderately with every Australian university, the cost of living in this dream country counts to a minimum of $15000 a year.
MBBS in Australia Fees Structure
|SN.||University Name||Tuition fee||Duration||Approx. Living Cost|
|1||University of Sydney||53,520 Aus $||5 Years||10000-15000 Aus $|
|2||Bond University||47,340 Aus $||4.8 Years||12000 Aus $|
|3||University of Adelaide||68,000 Aus $||6 Years||15000 Aus $|
|4||University of Melbourne||74,464 Aus $||7 Years||20000 Aus $|
UCAT ANZ 2020 Dates for Admission to MBBS in Australia & New Zealand
| Concession Scheme opens|
Access Arrangements open
|3 February 2020|
|BOOKING OPENS||2 March 2020|
| Concession application deadline|
Access Arrangements deadline
|4 May 2020 at 5pm AEST|
|BOOKING DEADLINE||11 May 2020 at 11:59pm AEST|
|Late booking deadline||18 May 2020 at 11:59pm AEST|
|Cancellation deadline||18 May 2020 at 11:59pm AEST|
|Testing begins||1 July 2020|
|Last testing date||31 July 2020|
|Results delivered to universities||by early September 2020|
UCAT Application Fees
|Tests taken in Australia or New Zealand||$299|
|– Concession Fee (Australia only)||$199|
|Tests taken overseas / outside Australia and New Zealand||$374|
MBBS in Australia Eligibility for Indian Students
Before we look into the entry requirements to study medicine in Australia, let us have a look at how medical studies structured in Australia. Until 2004, Australia followed the typical system of medical education, similar to European Countries. It had a bachelor’s degree program, nothing but MBBS, and a master’s program MD. These two degrees were considered the basic undergraduate programs to conduct further research programs in medicine.
Australian Qualifications Framework underwent major changes in the year 2004. Currently, Australian medical colleges two types of medical programs.
- Undergraduate medical degrees for students who complete the high school and duration of this course lasts for 5 to 6 years, which gives the degree MBBS.
- A graduate program that lasts for 4 years, which gives the degree MD.
MBBS in Australia after 12th: Undergraduate Medical Program
The duration of this program in Australia is 6 years. It involves a lot of theoretical classes, followed by rigorous practical sessions, which is implemented by Australian Quality Frameworks towards better education.
However, this entry-level UG medical program is not offered by many universities and medical schools in Australia. Only a few medical schools in Australia provide this UG degree for international students. University of New South Wales and the University of Adelaide are two popular medical universities in Australia for international students that offer MBBS program in Australia.
Eligibility for MBBS in Australia after 12th
- Basic qualification – Higher secondary completion from any recognized board and institute
- Qualifying in language proficiency, Scoring a minimum of 7 in IELTS
- Minimum age 17 years as on 31st December of admission year.
- UCAT qualifying – Special test conducted as an entrance exam for international students.
- Candidate must have passed NEET-UG.
Graduate Medical Program – MD in Australia
All medical programs, other than the undergraduate degree is considered as Masters Program. MD is a four-year program and most of the top medical colleges in Australia and medical universities offer this program. Although all universities confer MD qualification, some universities call it with different nomenclature. Completion of an undergraduate medical degree is a mandatory qualification to study MD.
MBBS in Australia Admission Process
We will assist you in admission process in above listed medical universities. All you need to qualify the entry exam UCAT and NEET in India. Here is the list of required documents needed in application process.
- Higher secondary school certificate with qualifying marks / Bachelor degree certificate, from science stream.
- UCAT/GMSAT score card
- NEET Score card
- IELETS score card
- School leaving certificate
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Nationality proof
- Medical Checkup record
- Personal statement
- Bank statement
- Passport copy
- Passport size photographs
Australia has a common education to reach out and submit their applications to study medicine. Both the undergraduate and graduate programs commence from the month of January every year, in all the medical universities for international students. So, if you seek admission to join the medical school in Australia, you have to apply at least 10 months before the commencement of the academic year.
Example, if you wish to join MBBS in the academic year that begins in January 2021, you should apply before September 2020. If you apply after September, it will be considered into next year academic entry.
Accreditation from Indian Medical Council
The major advantage of studying MBBS in Australia is, it is an internationally recognized medical degree. Unlike other MBBS programs which call for the additional screening exam by MCI to practice in India, there is no need for screening examinations. However
In fact, the Medical Council of India does not ask the students who studied MBBS in English Speaking Countries to take any qualifying examination to practice medicine in India. It applies to Australia too.
However, you should have a valid license as a medical practitioner to practice medicine in both Australia and India. You can instantly register in Indian Medical Council and start practicing medicine without any additional exam.
We are here to solve your queries related to study MBBS abroad. Our expert counsellors are so keen to assist in counselling, university selection, documentation and admission assistance. Call us at 7533005179 and take first step to start your study abroad journey.