If you are planning to study MBBS in New Zealand, you are at right place. We are India’s leading medical educational consultant offering medical admission guidance in India and abroad. We are serving students since 2007 with our excellent knowledge and counselling experience. You may call us at 7533005179 for complete MBBS admission assistance.
Aspirants, New Zealand is one of the most beautiful, peaceful and ideal places to study MBBS. The education system comes with very strong research curriculum, which serves a major advantage for aspiring medical students. New Zealand comes in tier one countries and many it is the dream of many international students go and study there.
Let’s talk about MBBS course duration in New Zealand. MBBS is a six years course in New Zealand, offered by two universities, which is listed in top universities in the world. Let’s see in detail about studying medicine, MBBS in New Zealand.
MBBS in New Zealand Highlights 2020
|Offered Degree||MBChB (MBBS)|
|Eligibility to study MBBS||BS (Bachelor of Science) with Physics, Chemistry & Biology with minimum 60% marks|
|NEET||Required with qualifying marks|
|MBBS Course Duration||6 Years|
|Medium of Instructions||English|
|Recognition||MCI/WHO and other bodies|
|Fees starts||34361 USD/Year|
MBBS in New Zealand Eligibility
Aspirant who want to study Medicine in New Zealand, he/she should meet the prescribed eligibility criteria. MBBS in New Zealand eligibility criteria for Indian students has been given below-
- Age limit: Aspirant age should be minimum 17 years as on 31st December of admission year.
- Educational Qualification: First year is a premedical preparation program designed for the local students, which also calls the international students to hold similar qualification. Bachelor degree in science field like health science, bioscience etc is mandatory.
- UCAT qualification is mandatory before applying to MBBS. Health Sciences Admission Test. Students should apply for this test before end of June every year. The actual test is conducted during the month of July.
- Language Proficiency test: Another mandatory requirement to get eligibility for studying medicine is English proficiency. IELTS or TOEFL score should be a minimum of 7.0
- However, if you have completed any undergraduate or masters degree in New Zealand, you don’t need to provide IELTS qualification.
- NEET: Candidate must have passed NEET-UG in admission year.
UCAT ANZ 2020 Dates for Admission in Australia & New Zealand Universities
| Concession Scheme opens|
Access Arrangements open
|3 February 2020|
|BOOKING OPENS||2 March 2020|
| Concession application deadline|
Access Arrangements deadline
|4 May 2020 at 5pm AEST|
|BOOKING DEADLINE||11 May 2020 at 11:59pm AEST|
|Late booking deadline||18 May 2020 at 11:59pm AEST|
|Cancellation deadline||18 May 2020 at 11:59pm AEST|
|Testing begins||1 July 2020|
|Last testing date||31 July 2020|
|Results delivered to universities||by early September 2020|
UCAT Application Fees
|Tests taken in Australia or New Zealand||$299|
|– Concession Fee (Australia only)||$199|
|Tests taken overseas / outside Australia and New Zealand||$374|
Why MBBS in New Zealand
New Zealand, a beautiful island is known for fascinating environment, landscape, cultural heritage, bio-diversity, and cricket! Apart from these, over a few years, New Zealand has also risen as a strong country with premium quality of education. Similar to MBBS in UK, US, Canada and Australia, New Zealand has become one of the study abroad destinations preferred by international students. Being a country with rich biodiversity many students prefer to study higher education in New Zealand which offer versatile fields of study. Eventually, student who prefers to study medical programs abroad also count on New Zealand.
Broadly, education institutes in New Zealand can be classified into five types.
- Universities of New Zealand, MBBS university in New Zealand comes under this category
- College of education
- Polytechnic colleges
- Specialist colleges for special degrees
- Training institutes for vocational education
Except the fifth category of institute, the first four categories of institutes are owned and regulated by New Zealand Government.
MBBS universities and colleges in New Zealand are fully regulated by the Government. Besides these colleges are registered under the clause called New Zealand Qualification Authority which ensures following the high quality of education, structure, and other terms and conditions.
- Quality of teaching is beyond excellence. Students gain immense benefits from smart class room training, individual attention and hands on practical working experience.
- All institutes and medical colleges are internationally recognized and students with the degree are hired by global employers.
- New Zealand is a happy and young country with abundant resources. Students can get a supportive learning atmosphere and get a great career.
MBBS in New Zealand Fees Structure 2020
|S.N.||University Name||Tuition fee||Duration||Approx. Living Cost|
|1||University of Otago|| 1st & 2nd Year – 34,361$|
2nd to 6th year –77,328$
|2||University of Auckland (New Zealand)|| 1st & 2nd Year – 32,025$|
2nd to 3rd year –72,800$
4th to 6th year –83,200$
(** HSFY – Health Science First Year)
MBBS in New Zealand for Indian Students Quora
Since studying medicine in New Zealand is relatively new for many medical aspirants. There is a long thread about MBBS in New Zealand for Indian Students Quora which discusses about entry requirements, MBBS in New Zealand fees structure, career prospects and many more.
MBBS University in New Zealand
The main medical program, MBBS in New Zealand is offered by two universities. It is Otago Univesrity and Aukland University. The course offered is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Qualification, which is also termed MBChB.
Below two universities are approved by MCI to teach Indian students. International applicants, inclusive of Indian students must meet the relevant qualifications to apply for the course.
University of Auckland
MBChB is a six year medicine program offered by University of Auckland, New Zealand. After completion of one year premedical course, the course is classified into two categories.
- Preclinical theory course for 2 years
- Three clinical years along with clinical attachments
The university covers most of the clinical segments like, general medicine, emergency medicine, general surgery, psychiatry, general practice etc.
The students also get an opportunity to do a four week selective course on any specific subject offered in the fifth year and one more eight weeks elective in the sixth year of study.
University of Auckland MBBS Fees
- Cost of studying in Auckland comes at an average of $300 to $500 per week inclusive of food and accommodation.
- Cost of premedical close comes to NZ$32,000 and cost of MBChB comes to NZ$73,000, per year. University of Auckland provides free accommodation and financial support to all students.
University of Otago
University of Otago has the world’s renowned medical college, Otago Medical School with internationally ranked and recognized.
MBBS is designed in the same way, offered by University of Aukland. MBChB is a six year medicine program where high school students should complete one year premedical course.
- Preclinical theory course for 2 years, at Dunedin school of medicine Dunedin, New Zealand
- Three clinical years along with clinical attachments
After completion of the two year classes, the last three year course is divided evenly into three parts. The students study the clinical years in Dunedin, Christchurch or Wellington. The university offers clinical attachments to these three locations. The major specialties of the course include general medicine, psychological medicine, general practice, public health, pediatrics etc.
During sixth year of study, students get an option to take an elective subject, which comes as 12 week study.
MBBS of Otago MBBS Fees
- Cost of studying in Otago comes at an average of NZ$70,000 to NZ$80,000 per year inclusive of food and accommodation.
- Cost of premedical close comes to NZ$31,000 and cost of MBChB comes to NZ$70,000, per year for second and third year and NZ$70,000, per year for last three years.
- Living cost in Dunedin approximate arrives at NZ$275 per week and on an average basis, overall living cost per year comes to NZ$16000 per year for comfortable living inclusive of all.
There is no surprise that Indian students and students from other countries opt New Zealand to study MBBS. The degree is approved internationally with a global reputation for the students who studied in New Zealand universities. In addition to the high quality education, New Zealand equally provides great career opportunities and bright job prospects.
Dear medical aspirants, continuously serving students in field education field. We are group of expert and experienced counsellors. Call us today at 7533005179 to get personalised counselling, career guidance and admission assistance and complete your dream to become a doctor.