Pharmacy Admission 2023-24 has been started. The students who are interested in pharmacy courses can apply after 10+2 qualification. Pharmacy course is one of the branches of health & medical sciences. It deals with practice, preparation and dispensing of medicinal drugs. It links the medical science with chemistry. Pharmacy courses are suitable for those students who want to establish their career in research and development of medicine. A person who has done any pharmacy course are called as pharmacist.
The pharmacy courses are generally divided into three specializations, Pharmacy practice, Pharmaceutics and Medicinal Chemistry & Pharmacognosy. Academic pharma courses are available at Diploma, Bachelor, Master to Doctoral level. Pharmacy is a flourishing field of medicine. The pharmacists are responsible for research, production and safe and effective use of medicine or new drugs to the medical practitioners.
World health organization is closely in associated with the government of India to strengthen the pharmaceuticals sector. WHO is effectively works for improving the supply chain of medicine, volume and trade in India? Thus, there is a large scope in Pharmacy.
If you planning a career in pharmaceutical industry. So, this article is only for you. We are a team of educational counselors’ expertise in medical education. We provide admission guidance for top medical colleges in India.
There are various courses available in pharmacy after completing 10+2 education. List of the courses along with their duration is given below.
- Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm) – 2 years
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) – 4 years
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) Lateral Entry – 3 years
- Pharm (Hons.) – 4 years
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Ayurveda) – 4 years
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm) – 2 years
- Pharm.D (Post Baccalaureate) – 3 years
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) – 6 years
- Ph.D in Pharmaceutical Sciences – 3 years
Pharmacy Admission Entrance Exams
Following is the list of popular entrance exams for pharmacy admission.
- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitide Test (GPAT)
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam
- TS EAMCET
- AP EAMCET
- ITM NEST
- Maharashtra State Common Entrance Test
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test
- OJEE Post Graduate Admission Test
- DHSG University Post Graduate Entrance Test
- West Bengal University of Technology Post Graduate Entrance Test
- BITS Higher Degree Admission Test
- Dayananda Sagar University Admission Test
- Central Universities Common Entrance Test
- Andhra Pradesh Post-Graduate Common Entrance Test
- GLA University Entrance Test (GLAET)
- Uttarakhand State Entrance Exam
- Integral University Entrance Test
- Jaipur National University Combined Entrance Test
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Common Entrance Test
- Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission
- Himachal Pradesh Common Entrance Test
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test
What is D Pharmacy?
Diploma of Pharmacy shortened as D. Pharma/D. Pharm. D. Pharma is a two years entry level training program. This course is offered to those students who have completed 10+2 education. It is mandatory to work in a recognized hospital or drug dispensing or Pharmaceuticals under licensed pharmacists to become a registered Pharmacist. After finishing D pharmacy studies, it is necessary to register with the Pharmacy Council of India.
The candidates pursuing D Pharmacy courses get knowledge of Medicinal Science and the methods or techniques behind the formulation of medicine and medicine management. D Pharma course provide an overview of practice, fundamentals and principles of the science of pharmacy.
The main subjects of Diploma in Pharmacy are Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical chemistry, Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutics. The two-year course provides intensive learning and exposure in Pharmacy.
What is Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharma)
Bachelor of Pharmacy also known as B. Pharma is a four-year duration course. It is an undergraduate degree program. The course curriculum of B Pharma is generally divided into 6-8 semesters. B Pharmacy admission 2023-2024 sessions will be done though entrance examination or merit-based list. Bachelor of pharmacy deals with the methods and process of preparing drugs. This course provides in depth-knowledge of preparing medicine and biochemical sciences.
Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) is the regulatory body for offering admission in pharmacy courses including B. Pharma course and setting up rules and regulations regarding education of Pharmacy. PCI ensures to provide standard education to the future pharmacists.
There are number of entrance tests for Bachelor of Pharmacy Admission 2023 like, GPAT, MHT-CET, BITSAT, NEET-UG, UPSEE, and other state level exams. Through B. Pharma course, students get a clear insight of component structure of the subjects and knowledge about biochemical sciences and its impact. Bachelor of Pharmacy can be pursued after 12th standard education.
What is Master of Pharmacy?
Master of Pharmacy is abbreviated as M.Pharm/M.Pharma. Master of Pharmacy is a two years duration course. It is a post-graduation degree course. It can be pursued after getting Bachelor degree in Pharmacy. This course is designed to get high level of education and core knowledge of pharmaceutical sciences.
M Pharma is post graduate degree course which imparts advance knowledge and cover all latest topics of pharmacy sector. It is a career-oriented course. It provides handful of opportunities to established career and get high paying jobs.
Admissions in M. Pharma course is also done on the basis or entrance exam or based on merit list. GPAT, NIPER, APPGECET Pharmacy, GLAET are some entrance exams to take Master of Pharmacy admission. Minimum 50-60% marks in bachelor are required for admission in this course.
Specializations of Master of Pharmacy
A number of specializations are available in M.Pharma post graduate degree course. Choose the specialization as per your interest. List of disciplines in Master of pharmacy is mentioned below.
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical chemistry
- Drug Regulatory Affair
- Pharmaceutical technology
- Clinical pharmacy
- Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance
- Bulk Drugs
- Pharmaceuticals Marketing Management
- Medicinal chemistry
- Quality Assurance
- Drug Discovery and Development
- Phytopharmaceuticals and Natural products
Pharmacy Admission 2023: Eligibility criteria of pharmacy courses
In India, Pharmacy courses are available from Diploma to Doctoral level. To get admission in any of the Pharmacy courses, you have to fulfil the requirement of the college to get enrolled in your choice of institution. The eligibility criteria of different courses are written below.
Diploma in Pharmacy/D.Pharm
- The candidates seeking admission in D. Pharma course must be of 17 years ago by 31st December of Admission year.
- They must have completed 12th standard examination with science subjects like, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics etc.
- Candidates are required to qualify the entrance exam accepted by the college.
Bachelor of Pharmacy/B.Pharm
- In order to pursue B. Pharmacy course, the students are required to pass higher secondary education from a recognized national or state education board of India.
- Their age should not be less than 17 years on 31 December of the year admission.
- They must have completed 12th standard exam physic, biology chemistry and mathematics.
Master of Pharmacy/M. Pharm
- The students who wish to pursue Master of Pharmacy or M. Pharma course must have secured a bachelor degree in pharmacy.
- They must have obtained at least 50% marks in bachelor’s degree from a recognized college of institution of India.
- Additionally, they must have qualified GPAT or other required entrance examination.
Pharmacy Admission: Skills required for pharmacist courses
The students seeking to get admission in pharmacy courses must have following basic skills to pursue any specific pharmacy courses.
- Analytical skills
- Computer skills
- Multitasking skills
- Mathematical skills
- Communication skills
- Observation skills
- Research Skills
- Scientific paper writing skills
- Counseling skills
Pharmacy Admission Procedure
The candidates seeking admission in pharmacy courses in India are required to satisfy the eligibility criteria of different colleges. There is various entrance examinations conducted at national or state level to get admission in pharmacy courses.
D.Pharma Admission Process
Diploma of Pharmacy or D. Pharma is a two-year course. Generally, there is no state or national level entrance examination conducted for D.Pharma courses. Mainly candidates are required to pass the entrance examination conducted by the institution or university. Admission in D. Pharma courses are provided through merit list, counseling and on the basis of entrance exam.
Students are required to secure minimum required marks in test to get admission in particular institution. The steps involved in D. Phama admission are as follows.
- The candidates have to apply and appear in the entrance test organized by the college or university.
- After appearing in entrance test students, the respective university will prepare the merit list containing the names and merits of the candidates who have qualified the exam.
- After that student will be called for the counseling to select the eligible candidate.
- Each college has their specific selection criteria including group discussion, personal interview, etc.
- After that student will be shortlisted as per their counseling rounds.
B.Pharma Admission Process
The admission process of bachelor of pharmacy is very similar to other medical courses. Admission of B. Pharma is strictly based on entrance examination. Some of the colleges or universities also conduct their own entrance examination to provide admission.
To get admission in B. Pharma, the candidates have passed the 12th standard education with science subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics. The candidates also required to qualify national or state level entrance examination such as GPAT, BHU-B Entrance Test, MHT-CET Maharashtra entrance examination, Goa entrance examination test, NEET, etc.
Some of the colleges also provide direct admission based on the cut-off or merit list. Admission procedure of Bachelor of Pharmacy is mentioned below.
- After passing 12th standard education apply for the entrance examination.
- Appear in the entrance examination and secure the minimum required marks.
- After that student have to participate in counseling rounds in their choice of institution.
- Students will be shortlisted on the basis of counseling or merit list.
Master of Pharmacy Admission Process
Master of Pharmacy/M. Pharma is a post graduate degree level course. Mostly the admission in M. Pharma course is done through entrance examination. NIPER, GPAT, OJEE, MET are the names of few entrance exams. Before getting admission, make sure that the college is approved by the Pharmacy Council of India.
To get enrolled in M. Pharma course, candidates must have a bachelor degree in Pharmacy wit minimum 50-60% marks. Major steps involved in M. Pharma admission are mentioned below.
- The candidates interested in M. Pharma must have apply for the Entrance Examinations.
- Appear in the entrance examination and secure the required marks. If you have secured the minimum required marks so it will help you to get admission in your choice of institution.
- Now the colleges will release their cut off merit list. Then they release a list of shortlisted candidates.
- Now the students have to register themselves for the counseling. Each college has the own selection process.
Best colleges for Pharmacy Admission
Check the latest list of best pharmacy colleges in India.
- Uttaranchal University Dehradun
- Guru kashi University Bathinda
- Quantum University Roorkee
- Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
- Poona College of Pharmacy, Pune.
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Birla institute of technology and Science, Pilani
- SRM Medical College and Hospital, Chennai.
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, NIPER Hyderbad.
- Panjab University
- JSS college of Pharmacy, Mysore
- Amity University, Gautam Budh University, Uttar Pradesh
Syllabus of pharmacy courses
Diploma in Pharmacy Syllabus
|Serial. No||First year||Second Year|
|2.||Biochemistry and clinical pathology||Pharmacology and Toxicology|
|3.||Pharmacognosy||Drug Store and Business Management|
|4.||Human Anatomy and Physiology||Pharmaceuticals Jurisprudence|
|5.||Pharmaceutical chemistry-1||Hospital and Clinical Pharmacy|
|6.||Health Education and Community Pharmacy||Pharmaceutical chemistry-2|
Bachelor or Pharmacy Syllabus
The main subjects of B. Pharma/B.Pharm are human anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, pharmaceutical biotechnology and pharmaceutical mathematics and biostatics.
|Serial No.||First year||Second year||Third year||Fourth year|
|1.||Pharmaceutical Analysis-1||Pharmacognosy-2||Biochemistry||Pharmaceutical Biotechnology|
|2.||Computer application||Pharmaceutical analysis-2||Pharmacology-2||Electives|
|3.||Organic Chemistry||Pharmacognosy-3||Medicinal Chemistry-1||Projected related to Elective|
|4.||Pharmaceutical chemistry||Pharmaceutical chemistry 2||Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence Ethics||Pharmaceutics|
|5.||Biology||AP HE-1||Chemistry of Natural product||Clinical Pharmacy|
|6.||Pharmacognosy-1||AP HE-2||Hospital pharmacy||Pharmacognosy|
|7.||Advanced mathematics||Pharmaceutics.||Medicinal-1||Medicinal Chemistry|
|8.||Anatomy and physiology||Organic Chemistry-2||Medicinal-2||Chemistry of Natural products|
|9.||Basic Electronics||Dispensing & community medicine||Biopharmaceutics||Drug intercation|
Master of Pharmacy Syllabus
The Master of Pharmacy course is so designed that it provides hands on practical training, lab work and classroom teaching. College & institutions may have some variations in syllabus. However, the general topics that are largely covered in M. Pharma are mentioned below.
|1.||Drug regulatory affairs||New Drug Application (NDA), Investigational New Drug Application (INDA), Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA, Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) preparation and Industrial Safety & Health|
|2.||Pharmaceutics||Preformulation Studies, Kinetic Principles and Stability Testing, Excipients, Polymer Science, Diffusion & Dissolution, Optimization Techniques, Quality Control|
|3.||Biological evaluation||Principles of Pharmacological and Pre-clinical Evaluation of drugs, Bioassays, Modern Methods of Pharmacological, Alternatives to animal screening procedures,|
|4.||Product development and Formulation||Fundamental Aspects of Product Development, Pilot Plant Scale-up Techniques, Development of Parenterals, Ophthalmic Preparation, Suppositories, Dermatological Preparations|
|5.||Novel Drug Delivery Systems||Fundamentals of controlled release drug delivery systems, Oral drug delivery, Parenteral controlled release system, Mucosal drug delivery models, Ocular Drug Delivery, Regulatory consideration in controlled release|
|6.||Biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics||Absorption of drugs, Distribution of drugs, Elimination of drug, Bioavailability and bioequivalence, Pharmacokinetics, Nonlinear pharmacokinetics|
Scope in Pharmacy
Nowadays, the demand of pharmacist is increasing rapidly. As we know that the many deadly diseases are there in our environment which is dangerous for human body. Therefore, our medical sector needs more innovation and research to overcome with these problems.
In India, the scope of Pharmacy is very wide. It is a lucrative career option for all the aspirants seeking pharmacy courses. There are ample of job opportunities to do after successfully passing the course. There are many colleges in India that provide placement opportunities in top national and international companies at high pay scale. Average salary of Pharmacist could be around 3-4 lakhs.
Top recruiting companies and job options
|Cipla limited||Drug Inspector|
|Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories||Chemical/drug technician|
|Mankind Pharma Ltd||Research Officer|
|Abbott India Ltd||Pharmacist|
|Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd||Pathological lab|
|Biocon||Research and development|
|Aurobindo Pharma||Hospital Drug Co-odrinator|
|Johnson & Johnson|